Well, I guess this a product of somewhat lazy sewing/inexperience. I’ve still worn the outcome, but in the future, I would like to do better.
I made both dresses, but this post is about the Victory Pattern’s Nicola Dress on the right. I made my first attempt at grading out, but it was mediocre. In the bodice, I tried to just use the extra seam allowance and used a 2/8 seam allowance at the bust line, and then graded down to the included 5/8 seam allowance in the waist. I also used a 2/8 seam allowance at the shoulders. Not knowing much, I didn’t realized that this would affect the other pattern pieces. As a result, the facing was short, and the bodice didn’t meet the skirt in the right way.
I made a muslin first, but still couldn’t figure out how to fix some major fit issues. It definitely looks a little sloppy when you look closely. oh well! Live and learn.
I am fond of this fabric, however. It’s a laser printed Rayon from Stonemountain and Daughters. woo!
And on the bright side, I got some amazing fabric store gift cards, and this dope ass, pin-able dress form. Whatwhat!